At the Malvern Show you may remember I discovered that instead of just being small insignifcant plants or 'plantlets' as I used to call them in my head that are in every mothers' little (usually wick looking) rockery, they are instead utterly fascinating little worlds all of their own. I am astonished at myself, nay, ashamed that I didn't give them the credit they are due much sooner.
We live very close to where Johnathon Swift worked as a minister, yes he who wrote Gulliver's Travels. I could dander to his (sadly very must ruined) house in 30 mins if I so choose. He is where he saw the floating islands (the Copland Islands - and yes they do look like they are floating just above the water)and the giant laying on his back (the Cave Hill/ Napoleon's Nose). With my fabulous alpines I feel like Gulliver towering over a normal sized world that just looks so small to me but wherein life plays it's merry dance and doesn't have a size complex at all - for goodness sake I and my other plants are the freaks!!
So I have 4 new best friends:
Silene 'Mount Snowdon'
Sempervivum hybrid 'noir'
Saxifraga 'Winifred Bevington'
Aquilegia flabellata Cameo Red and White
I can't pretend I know my friends full names of by heart as of yet so don't be too impressed ;) I have their little name tags beside me. But I do know I love them and I love to get down on my bum beside their container and send a little while touching them and if I'm honest, having a wee chat.
Here they are in their new home on the patio of 24a.
(There is more, I blush - we just bought 4 more for another container, for the 14b plot, oh I'm in love, hehee.
More photos will undoubtedly folllow :)

No comments:
Post a Comment