Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Embarrassing Brontosaurus

  • Has your kids every truly embarrassed you?

  • Well Mica embarrassed me tonight in a big way!

  • I have to start from the beginning. Daddy went out to dinner with a guy that likes his artwork a week or so ago. One of his artsy friends was having a get together, so we went. We really didn't know anyone, but felt somehow comfortable. 

  • The kids were running around and talking to people. Isaak loved their dog and cat. 

  • Towards the end of the night Mica said to a really large gentleman, "You're really big." I was biting my tongue. I was thinking, "Stop there, don't say anymore Mica!" Mica continued, "You're really as big as a Brontosaurus." I was a little distance from them, so I pretended not to notice. But quickly said, "Hey Mica come over and sit with Mommy." I said it very calm, but was thinking, "Hey Mica come over and sit with Mommy!!!!!!!!!!!" 

  • Daddy of course didn't hear a thing. It was just me that heard what my 5 year old said.

  • I didn't know whether to apologize to this man for what my son said, or to pretend that I didn't hear?!? Bringing attention to it could have made the situation worse for this man, and Mica might have said more.

  • I don't know if I handled the situation right or not. I kept my mouth shut until the car ride home. I said, "Mica you shouldn't tell people that they are big, fat, and especially that they are as big as a Brontosaurus! That could really hurt someone's feelings." Mica said, "Ok Mommy I won't call anyone something like that again."

  • I do have to give the kid some points for creativity. He didn't mean to hurt the guy's feelings. 

  • He just really thought he looked like a cool, big dinosaur.

  • It totally reminded me of a time when cousin Kailey, who is now almost 16 years old said that a guy was fat in a Laundromat. Aunt Angela couldn't exactly leave. Kailey kept saying it over and over again. Angela kept telling her to be quiet! Finally Kailey said, "But Mommy I love my grandma and she's fat." Poor Grandma! Sorry Grandma!

  • Now Kailey is on the news for doing good by starting a cheerleading squad for special needs kids, so there is hope for Mica!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com My Zimbio Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner